(October 11, 2010 – Indianapolis) For the past 10 years, Kevin Carrell has had to watch the home he grew up in literally fall apart.
Carrell purchased the Speedway house from his mother 10 years ago, when she was moved to an assisted living facility. The move was exactly what his mother needed. However, the much-needed repairs to the home were more than the devoted son – who works two jobs – could handle, especially after the economy took a turn for the worse. Carrell's sister, Janet Strader, turned to the Angie’s List Wishmakers program for help.
"Kevin did a noble thing to help my mom let go of our childhood home so she could move on with her life, but now he needs help with the repairs so he can move on with his," Strader wrote in her nomination letter for the Wishmakers program.
“The roof on the garage was caved in when Kevin’s sister reached out to us,” said Angie Hicks, founder of Angie’s List, the nation’s premiere provider of consumer reviews. “Thanks to some really great companies here in Indianapolis, Kevin is getting more than a solid roof over his head – and we’ve all been reminded how great this community is.”
- Roofing: Stevens Roofing, Jordan Roofing, Owens Corning, ABC Supply
- HVAC system: Service Plus Heating & Air, Bryant
- Gutters: Gutter Covers of Indiana, Weather Shield Inc.
- Air Duct Cleaning: Mite-E-Ductsconsumer ratings on local service companies has partnered with its highly rated service providers to grant wishes across the country, including seven projects in the Indianapolis area.Previous Wishmakers projects include:
Nominations are accepted via email at WishmakersRequests@angieslist.com.
- Giving a wounded soldier’s mother in Atlanta, Georgia, a new kitchen sink and dishwasher.
- Providing a new roof for a Shaker Heights, Ohio family who lost their three young daughters in a house fire.
- Helping a Chicago family move into a new house when their home was foreclosed after the death of their 11-year old daughter.
- Painting the home of a Carmel, Ind. family who faced financially difficulties due to medical ailments and the loss of a job.
- Building a room addition on to the home of an Indianapolis family whose little boy has the “Bubble Boy” disease and has to live in sterile isolation.
- Repairing the car of a disabled Navy veteran in Deland, Florida to help him get back up on his feet after a long, up-hill medical battle.
Angie’s List collects consumer reviews on local contractors and doctors in more than 500 service categories. Currently, more than 1 million consumers across the U.S. rely on Angie’s List to help them make the best hiring decisions. Members get unlimited access to local ratings via Internet or phone, exclusive discounts, the Angie’s List magazine and help from the Angie’s List complaint resolution service. Take a quick tour of Angie’s List and view the latest Angie’s List news.
Since 2004, the nation’s leading provider of
Nine area companies are teaming up and donating more than $20,000 in services, including a new roof for the home and detached garage, a new HVAC system, new gutters and air duct cleaning.