Whether you have a concrete or asphalt driveway
, it’s important that you preserve its value with regular maintenance.
Angie's List, the nation’s leading provider of consumer reviews
on local service companies, went to the driveway sealing and repair experts for tips on keeping your driveway in top shape.
“The best way to protect your investment in your driveway is by sealing it every two to five years, depending on its condition,” said Angie’s List founder Angie Hicks. “That can help prevent staining, enhance its appearance and extend its lifespan.”
Asphalt driveways typically require more maintenance than concrete drives, but are less expensive to install and easier to repair. However, natural elements, like sun and rain, take a toll on asphalt driveways.
Cracks and holes can be filled and repaired more easily with asphalt, whereas damaged sections of concrete driveways typically must be replaced instead of repaired. Concrete drives can hold more weight, however, and offer more variety, including stamped patterns and different colors.
To preserve the life of your driveway:
• Have it resealed every two to five years, depending on the type of drive and its condition. Asphalt drives require more frequent resealing than concrete.
• Patch any cracks or holes in asphalt drives prior to sealcoating.
• Avoid gas and oil spills, as they can leave hard-to-remove stains, especially on concrete.
• Rock salt is also damaging to driveways, especially newer ones, and can lead to cracking.
• If having maintenance work done on your driveway, verify the contractor is insured.
• Ask for photos or references of previous work done.
• Get the job details in a written estimate.
• Homeowners often try to seal a drive themselves, but it’s better left to an experienced professional. A mistake could be messy and costly to repair.
• Before starting your project, don’t forget to get your cars out of the garage.
Angie’s List collects consumer reviews on local contractors and doctors in more than 500 service categories. Currently, more than 1 million consumers across the U.S. and Canada rely on Angie’s List to help them make the best hiring decisions. Members get unlimited access to local ratings via Internet or phone, exclusive discounts, the Angie’s List magazine and help from the Angie’s List complaint resolution service. Take a quick tour of Angie’s List and view the latest Angie’s List news.